How To Deactivate Facebook Messenger: A Step Towards Better Privacy
Why you should delete Facebook Messenger?
Is Facebook Messenger private? Actually, no. Facebook Messenger has the same information about you as Facebook, and it can still be there even if you delete or deactivate Facebook Messenger. Here are a few more reasons why you should deactivate Facebook Messenger:
- Facebook has had huge data breaches and leaks in the past, so it's clear that your data is not safe with it.
- Facebook makes money by collecting information about its users, and the Cambridge Analytica affair has hurt its stock price and made people worried about their privacy.
- Facebook Messenger is not private. It doesn't do well on our list of secure messaging apps because it keeps track of what you do, doesn't have encryption by default, and doesn't encrypt your past chats. It can also use your camera, microphone, and contact list.
- Messenger's source code is not available for independent study, and the way it handles security is not well explained.
- There are also a lot of instant chat apps that put privacy first.
How to deactivate Facebook Messenger by deactivating Facebook?
Even though Messenger and Facebook are now different apps, they are still very connected. They both use the same account, and changes you make to settings in one app are often made in the other app as well. This is why when you turn off Facebook, you can also turn off Messenger.
- Open the Facebook app and tap the three lines in the bottom right (iPhone) or top right (Android).
- Scroll down and tap Settings & Privacy, then tap Settings.
3. Tap Personal and Account Information, then Account Ownership and Control, and then Deactivate and Delete.
4. On the page that opens, click Deactivate Account or, if you want to go all the way, Delete Account. Then click Continue to Account Deactivation.
5. Type in your Facebook password and make sure you still want to delete your account.
This will sign you out of Facebook and turn it off. Now, here's how to turn off Messenger:
- Open the Messenger app and tap your personal picture in the upper left corner.
- Scroll down and tap Legal & Policies, then tap Deactivate Messenger.
3. Tap Deactivate again to confirm your choice.
If you ever want to use your account again, all you have to do is open the app and log in again.
Can I Delete Messenger Without Deleting Facebook?
If your Messenger is linked to your Facebook account, you can't do that.
If you're using a version of the app that doesn't connect to your Facebook account, you can delete the app or follow the steps above to turn off your Messenger account.
If you want to get rid of a Messenger account that isn't linked to your Facebook account, you need to do the following:
- Click your profile picture in the top left.
- Click “Account Settings.”
- Scroll down and click “Delete Your Account and Information.”
- Enter your password and then tap “Submit.”
Best Facebook Messenger alternatives
Even though there are some problems with the app, it's still better than Messenger. It has texts that disappear, an interface that is easy to use, and encryption. But the second one is not turned on by default, so make sure to turn it on. Also, it's not open source, so the code can't be checked by anyone.
Wickr is another safe app for sending messages. It deletes your info automatically, so you know it won't be kept. Also, you can sign up without giving your phone number or email address. It's a much better option for privacy, even though it's not as easy to use as some other apps.
Signal is a great choice if you want to keep your messages private and have a lot of useful features. It has choices for SMS, video calls, group calls, file sharing, and messages that disappear. Signal also uses strong encryption methods, doesn't store your information, and is open-source, so its code is always being reviewed by the community.
No matter what chat app you use, you should definitely use a VPN. It will encrypt your data, so you can always talk in a safe and private way.